09 October 2010

benconservato




With a skip in my step, I headed to Melbourne's The Finders Keepers market today at Shed 4 at Docklands (behind the good folk at Open Channel). With funky live music, there was a great vibe and so much delectable work it hurt. I was thrilled to come across the store of 'benconservato' aka Emma Kidd. Her shop was one of the first I discovered at Etsy, and immediately I fell in love with her enigmatic monsters and characters. The main thing that struck me today, was how different her original works were in the flesh. Emma often uses gold ink, which photos just don't pay justice to. Her works literally shimmered in the light, which gave them an added depth and beauty that made me want to take home several immediately! Her colouring book, prints, softies and cards were also a delight, perfect for anyone wishing to get in touch with their inner monster. It was definitely my favourite stop, so I suggest all you Melburnians head down in the glorious weather they're predicting tomorrow!

> Emma's website, blog, Etsy shop, Flickr, Redbubble shop, The Finders Keepers market

7 comments:

annamaria potamiti said...

Thanks for the continuous inspiration! Lovely artwork again!Wishing you a lovely weekend!

inaluxe said...

Emma's work rocks doesn't it?! We both love her monsters too. :) I can imagine they looks more amazing in the flesh - gold ink just doesn't come up so well in photos... sad, but true! Sounds like you had an amazing day - loads of fun! Have a great Sunday.... Kristina. :)

helicopter6 said...

Thank you both for your weekend wishes, I think I'm about to head out in this glorious sunshine and make the most of it. Can't decide where though! Kristina, I'm so tempted to go back to Emma's store, if only I had some $$!

Unknown said...

Love monsters, thanks for that tip. I think I gonna buy this monster behaving badly colouring book, for my son or for me - eh both? That'll be fun.

Penny said...

How amazing is Emma! I was so happy to be sharing a stall with her, she's such a great person :)

Her monster softies were popular, they're so gorgeous!!

belinda marshall said...

i bought emma's colouring book ~ it's great. love her work too. i was amazed at how much work she had + i went on sunday.

helicopter6 said...

Ahh... sounds like the monster colouring book is a winner! And yes Barbara, one for you too! I was amazed at how much work she had too... and really REALLY wished that I had some money that day, becasue it looks as though my faves were sold :-( That'll teach me to go to a market when I'm poor! I'm still dedicated to getting something from her Etsy shop before Chrissy though. And Penny, it was a great little strip of shops you all had there.