08 April 2011

sneaky critters





When I was away, I took the time to seek out some air drying modelling clay and actually allow myself to have an unadulterated play. No sketches, no preconceptions, no over thinking... it was just a matter of grabbing a chunk of goo and seeing what happened (although somehow, I think I may have been channelling 'The Lost Thing', or maybe Benconservato!). I haven't done this for such a long time, and it was so damn enjoyable. They were made quite quickly, detailed with a bit of yellow water colour, and then placed out in public (in corners, on stairs, on shelves). To my delight, they all disappeared. I saw one guy pick one up, check to see no-one was looking, then pop it in his pocket. A perfect outcome!

10 comments:

Kylie said...

OMG, how fabulous is that!? Were you filming it? That would be so cool :) They are fantastic critters. Kx

helicopter6 said...

Thanks so much Kylie! No, I wasn't filming it. Just happy for them to quietly and anonymously slip away!

swinkie said...

How gorgeous... I would have love to seen these critters in the corners of our world... only to then crit-nap one for myself!

jessica said...

this is the happiest art experience i've heard of in a long time! love the idea and the creatures!

Unknown said...

Helen this are really great, I really love them. Could you please spend some time here around the corner and give me a note, when you leave them somewhere - I would pick them all up and bring them home and would feel VERY happy about it!

Julia da Franca said...

oh how i wish i could find one.. great idea, wonderful creatures.

helicopter6 said...

Looks like I'm going to have to visit Germany & Sydney to endulge in some sneeky placements close to Sandra & Barbara!!
Jessica, it really was a happy art experience. Thoroughly enjoyed the concept and process.
Julia, how funny, I just left a comment on your blog, then checked here to see yours! I may just need to come to your neighbourhood too!!

Sandra Eterovic said...

Good on you Helen for giving yourself time to play: the results are fantastic! Great photos too. I think you might have opened up a very interesting new door! I look forward to seeing what's next.

holly aka golly said...

Fantastic! Make more! I love how you caught one "thief" in the act.

claude jones said...

I also love this idea of finding free little crazy critters out and about and am not at all surprized that people took them! What a splendid idea.